Remembering USS Liberty: When Israel attacked America
NefeshBarYochai
2023-12-26 04:52:39 UTC
Richard Brooks still remembers when the alert came.

With klaxons sounding and people yelling, the tannoy system warned
everyone “Standby to receive torpedo hit”.

“I thought I’ll never get out of this mess alive. Weird things were
running through your minds, because I’d chalked myself off.”

He felt the torpedoes hit and the ship pitch to one side but realised
he was still alive.

And then the priority became survival. As chief engineer, he could
tell the engines were still working. “My machinery was still intact
and I was still making headway. I yelled through the voice tube ‘Give
me all the steam pressure you’ve got, let’s get the hell out of this
area’”.

Eventually his ship, The USS Liberty made its way to safer waters and
managed to take stock of the sustained attack. Thirty-four were lying
dead, more than 171 were injured.

The victims of the day Israel attacked America.

The Liberty had been sitting in international waters off the Sinai
Peninsula. A spy ship, it had been gathering information as the 1967
Arab-Israeli Six-Day War raged on land.

<continue reading>

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2015/6/9/remembering-uss-liberty-when-israel-attacked-america

Thirty-four died and over 170 were injured in Israeli attack on US
warship during 1967 Arab-Israeli Six-Day War.
Bolloy Benders Family
2023-12-26 05:27:28 UTC
Post by NefeshBarYochai
Richard Brooks still remembers when the alert came.
Oh fer Gawds sake this happened 55 years ago.
--
)" .
/ \ (\-./
| | .-" y)-
| |/ _/ \
\ /j _".\(@)
\ ( | `.'' )
\ _`- | /
" `-._ <_ (
`-.,),)
Douglas D. Anderson
2023-12-30 20:53:33 UTC
Post by NefeshBarYochai
[...]
A good book about this same event by another survivor, Lieutenant
James M. Ennis, Jr., USNR, "Assault on the Liberty", is worth reading
by anyone interested. But the fact is that 99.99% of Americans through
no fault of their own won't remember this because the war in Vietnam
was raging, race riots and anti-war protests were reaching critical
mass, that summer one of the big stories was Mohammad Ali, resisting
the draft, in the shadow of Westmorland and Johnson arguing about
troop buildup, and in short, nobody in America except the CIA could
give a rats ass about a tiny fray in an area the size of New Jersey
that had been going on for a couple of thousand years with no end in
sight.

"We choose truth over facts" - Joe Biden